Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Vansevenant gets attention

With the usual stories already covered by now, and the first time trial over, and no big heroes to write about, writers are starting to cast around for some human interest stories from the Tour and one of their old standbys is mentioning the Lanterne Rouge.

Lionel Birnie in Cycling Weekly: "By the way, what's the deal with Wim Vansevenant? He just likes being last! The Belgian Silence-Lotto rider was Lanterne Rouge in 2007 and 2006. And he's last overall already, the crazy fool. And he's opened up a healthy lead of 2-10 over the next nearest rider, Matthieu Sprick. By the way, Vansevenant was second last in 2005."

Whereas Road Cycling Blog just does a cut-and-paste on the Wikipedia entry. You're welcome.

I'll try to include links to more of these mentions - there are sure to be many of them in the next couple of weeks. We've still got 17 stages to go.

Labels:


Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
In the past, I've always followed the coverage of the leaders of Le Tour and never really paid attention to the GC past 10th place.

The Lanterne Rouge is a brand-new discovery for me. I didn't even realize that there was a term for this position until I googled it.

I thought, "What better source to turn to in my research than Wikipedia."

It seemed to cover what I was looking for very nicely.

Then, BAM! I get a nice comment from you on my post and am exposed to the world of the Lanterne Rouge in a whole new perspective via your blog.

Thank you for covering this better than I've found elsewhere. I've included you in my "Links I Visit" list for future readers.

Dr. Mac
RoadCyclingBlog.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?